Selling a house takes a lot of work. One of the most important steps is to clean inside and out before putting your home on the market.
After all, you want potential buyers to see a spotless interior while walking around during an open house. Not sure where to start? Follow these eight home cleaning tips to help you sell faster.
- Spruce up the yard: First impressions are everything, so start by tidying up the yard. At a bare minimum, mow the lawn, prune the bushes, and weed the flowerbeds. You can also plant annuals for a pop of color. If you have a larger budget, consider installing landscape lights, built-in planters, or xeriscaping to attract buyers with in-demand features.
- Touch up the entrance: Remove spider webs, polish the doorknob, replace damaged porch lights, and set out a potted plant or two. These small upgrades make buyers feel confident as they step into your home.
- Repaint the house inside and out: Fresh paint is an affordable way to dramatically improve your home’s appearance. To appeal to the widest audience, stick to light, neutral colors that brighten up the room and match any furniture.
- Clean the floors: Nothing is appealing about scratched hardwood or stained carpet, so refinish your floors or hire professional carpet cleaners. If cleaning isn’t good enough, consider installing new flooring. The upgrade is certain to help you sell your home faster.
- Organize, declutter, and depersonalize: Remove anything that makes your home look “lived in.” Keep only the essentials and sell, donate, or store the rest. This step makes your home feel larger and helps potential buyers envision themselves living there.
- Let the sunshine in: Light up the interior by opening all the blinds and curtains. You’ll want to wash the windows and clean the window coverings as well. While you’re at it, dust your light fixtures and replace burned-out bulbs so artificial lighting can add to the natural light.
- Deep clean the kitchen and bathrooms: In addition to your routine cleaning tasks, wipe down the cabinet fronts, clean the grout, apply fresh caulk, and deep-clean the appliances. If your budget allows, update the plumbing fixtures in your kitchen and bathrooms to make the rooms feel like new.
- Stage the backyard: The outdoor living space is often the final thing people see on an open house tour. Remove clutter and broken patio furniture, tear down any rundown sheds, and power wash the deck. Then, create an inviting space with a matching table and chairs, fire pit, hammock, and string lights.
If you’re getting ready to sell, turn to Vutech | Ruff, Corcoran Global Living for outstanding real estate services. Our team has helped sell homes in Columbus, OH, for over 60 years. We understand how to market your property for the best selling price. If you’re also buying in the area, we can help with that as well. Contact our office at 614-897-0618 today to speak with a knowledgeable agent about selling your home.